Buying a swimsuit is never easy, and we know it can be even harder when you are plus sized. There is a great deal of engineering that goes into creating a plus size bathing suit to ensure that everything fits the way it should and supports where you want it to.
To help navigate the options, we have put together a list of the top 6 design details to keep in mind when choosing the perfect bathing suit that works best with your gorgeous curves.
- Tummy Tamer. Look for styles with tummy taming features like power mesh. Power mesh is a supportive and comfortable lining that helps hold you in while also smoothing you out. Think of it as having a hold somewhere between panty hose and Spanx, but far more breathable. The good news is that power mesh won’t make you feel warmer. Hotter and sexier for sure, but not warmer.
Our customer Tammy says this of our Daphne suit with tummy tamer:
“Best suit ever made! This suit is amazing. I’m a size 16W and it makes me look a size 14W. Totally holds and controls my tummy. It’s figure flattering and has renewed my confidence in appearing out in public in swim wear!”
- Boning. Boning was first developed for corsets in the 16th century to mold women’s torsos into the styles of the time. True to its name, whalebone was often used during this period, although today’s boning is made from plastic.
Here at Always for Me, we have taken the support that boning can offer and added it to the side panels of our tops to give your girls additional lift. By placing the boning at the side seam of your plus size top, we ensure it lays flat against and is comfortable without bending, folding or twisting. It is a little trick we’ve learned designing our bathing suits since 2001.
Our customer Lynn writes of our Isabella suit with side boning:
“I never thought I would say this but I LOVE this swimsuit. The fit is just right – slimming but not too tight. Nice bust support even without the straps. Great quality fabric and is even lined – you get what you pay for. The turquoise color is beautiful – brings out the blue in my eyes and will look great with tan.”
- Underwire. Underwire construction gives your girls a natural, round shape while also slightly lifting them. This feature is great if you are looking for extra support beyond what a shelf bra can offer. We ensure that our underwire is encased and stitched for extra support, so that it doesn’t poke through its casing during normal wear and tear.
Our customer Christina writes of our Macrame suit with underwire:
“Love this style and fit…I get so many compliments. I’m big busted, and it really supports me!”
- Straps. The right strap on a bathing suit makes all the difference. For a smaller bust, try a halter strap. For a fuller bust, look for styles with straps that are wider and offer adjustable, over the shoulder fit. If you prefer to go strapless, look for styles that offer a removable strap and/or a wide top band along the neckline. Often with removable straps you have a variety of ways to attach them to give different styling options.
Our customer Cara Coleman writes of our Twist Front Bandeau suit with adjustable and removable straps:
“I love this suit! Two years ago, I bought the plum and red suits. I loved them so much this year I bought the rose and black suits. I just love the way it fits my body. It hugs in all the right places and covers my imperfections. I also like the fact that I can use the strap if I need extra support for my top. The skirt keeps it fashionable and allows me to feel comfortable about my tummy. I’m so excited to wear these on vacation soon!”
- Adjustable Lengths for Thigh Coverage. We’ve all been there, one day you like your thighs, and the next day you want to hide them. If you want flexibility and control over how much you want to show off, look for styles that have drawstrings that you can use to adjust length.
Our customer Lynn writes of our Retro Halter Swimdress with adjustable length for thigh coverage:
“Comfortable and great price! Absolutely love this suit! I ordered my regular size and the suit fits perfectly. It appears long but there is the ability to wear it long or pull it up for a ruching effect.”
- The Fit-and-Flare Silhouette. If you are looking for more coverage and a style that isn’t as form fitting, then we recommend the fit-and-flare silhouette. This design creates a wonderful slimming effect and offers coverage around the stomach and hips while drawing attention to your face and bust.